Major John Stewart residence, 26 New Street S.E.

11-Oct-71

View this document at Calgary Public Library: Major John Stewart residence, 26 New Street S.E.

Document Record
Creator Alison Jackson
Title Major John Stewart residence, 26 New Street S.E.
Published 11-Oct-71
Identifier aj_1123
Subject Calgary (Alta.) -- History
Rights Copyright Calgary Public Library. 616 Macleod Trail SE, Calgary AB, T2G 2M2, 1+(403)260-2785 hum1@calgarypubliclibrary.com
Document source Alison Jackson Estate
Notes Calgary, Alberta
11-Oct-71
4" x 5" negative
5656
5825
32201.828 KB
Calgary Public Library, Central Library, Local History Room
Alison Jackson Photograph Collection
Still Image
Media Image
Contributor Calgary Public Library
Description “Then & Now” columns appeared weekly in the Calgary Herald between 2002 and 2005. The following article appeared December 3, 2003. <br><br> Stewart House, 26 New St. S.E. <br><br> Then: Stewart House <br>• Major John Stewart, pioneer, military man, founder of the Stewart Ranch near Pincher Creek and developer of coal mines in Canmore and Anthracite, built this wood-frame house in 1884 according to plans by an architect named Moberly. Following Stewart's death in 1893, the Pat Burns (meat packing) Co. bought the Bow River residence as a home for the packing plant's manager. By the time maverick architect and one-time city alderman Jack Long bought the house in 1969, it was almost in ruins. <br><br> Now: Private residence <br>• Long turned his considerable talent and energy to renovating one of Calgary's oldest buildings for use as an office and residence. During the 1970s, the house became the focal point of Long's efforts to revitalize the community of Inglewood. Designated a provincial historic resource in 1980, the house has remained in private ownership since Long sold it in 1992. According to the Inglewood Historical Walking Tour, "a curious feature of this property is that it has riparian rights: the legal title extends to the middle of the river. There are only a few such titles in Calgary; most waterways are public property. Around 1900, the city exchanged the river frontage for land to create New Street from an alley."
Permanent Link http://search.canadiana.ca/view/ac.aj_1123