Sacred Heart Convent (early part on right, addition on left).

21-Apr-74

View this document at Calgary Public Library: Sacred Heart Convent (early part on right, addition on left).

Document Record
Creator Alison Jackson
Title Sacred Heart Convent (early part on right, addition on left).
Published 21-Apr-74
Identifier aj_1144
Subject Calgary (Alta.) -- History
Rights Copyright Calgary Public Library. 616 Macleod Trail SE, Calgary AB, T2G 2M2, 1+(403)260-2785 hum1@calgarypubliclibrary.com
Document source Alison Jackson Estate
Notes Calgary, Alberta
21-Apr-74
3.5" x 3.5" print only
1820
1793
3210.957 KB
Calgary Public Library, Central Library, Local History Room
Alison Jackson Photograph Collection
Still Image
Media Image
Contributor Calgary Public Library
Description “Then & Now” columns appeared weekly in the Calgary Herald between 2002 and 2005. The following article appeared June 24, 2003. <br><br> Then: Sacred Heart Convent <br>• The first Sacred Heart Convent, established in 1885 by Reverend Mother Greene of the Faithful Companions of Jesus, was a little log cabin on the banks of the Elbow River. Consecrated by the archbishop of the Northwest Territories in October 1885, it served as a boarding and day school for Roman Catholic girls and a residence for the teaching sisters. In 1893, increasing enrolment led to the construction of a new "gray stone" building with a French mansard roof. The school offered a full education in English and French. By 1913, the convent accommodated 14 teaching sisters and 75 boarders. The curriculum included plain and ornamental needlework, pianoforte playing, singing, painting, stenography and elocution. The school flourished, leading to the construction of St. Mary's School in 1909 and further additions to Sacred Heart Convent in 1924. <br><br> Now: Sacred Heart Convent <br>• Around 1982, the convent boarding school was converted to the Faithful Companions of Jesus Christian Life Centre, with a mission to "share God's vision for a peaceful, joy-filled and just world." Although it has been renovated many times over the years, many elements of the original 1893 structure remain intact. Surrounded by beautiful gardens, the FCJ Centre offers a wide variety of programs for members of all faiths, including retreats, workshops, family life programs, scripture courses, youth leadership training and spiritual direction.
Permanent Link http://search.canadiana.ca/view/ac.aj_1144