View this document at Calgary Public Library: Inglewood Bird Sanctuary. View upstream toward Colonel Walker residence.
|Title||Inglewood Bird Sanctuary. View upstream toward Colonel Walker residence.|
|Rights||Copyright Calgary Public Library. 616 Macleod Trail SE, Calgary AB, T2G 2M2, 1+(403)260-2785 email@example.com|
|Document source||Alison Jackson Estate|
35mm colour slide. Taken with a Praktica camera using Kodachrome daylight film 135.
Calgary Public Library, Central Library, Local History Room
Alison Jackson Photograph Collection
|Contributor||Calgary Public Library|
|Description||“Then & Now” columns appeared weekly in the Calgary Herald between 2002 and 2005. The following article appeared March 10, 2004. <br><br> Then: Walker House <br>• Col. James Walker, a retired officer with the North West Mounted Police, rancher and owner of a prosperous Calgary lumber business since 1883, built this two-storey brick house with sandstone trim in 1910 in an area then known as Brewery Flats. He called it Inglewood, a name that was quickly adopted by the surrounding community. <br><br> Now: Inglewood Bird Sanctuary <br>• The former Walker home is now part of the city-owned Inglewood Bird Sanctuary, established in 1929 by Walker and his son W.J. Selby Walker. The house was designated a provincial historic resource in 1977.|