Small replica of Macleod residence, located in Heritage Park.

15-Mar-75

View this document at Calgary Public Library: Small replica of Macleod residence, located in Heritage Park.

Document Record
Creator Alison Jackson
Title Small replica of Macleod residence, located in Heritage Park.
Published 15-Mar-75
Identifier aj_1205
Subject Calgary (Alta.) -- History
Rights Copyright Calgary Public Library. 616 Macleod Trail SE, Calgary AB, T2G 2M2, 1+(403)260-2785 hum1@calgarypubliclibrary.com
Document source Alison Jackson Estate
Notes Calgary, Alberta
15-Mar-75
3.5" x 3.5" print
2798
2842
7789.836 KB
Calgary Public Library, Central Library, Local History Room
Alison Jackson Photograph Collection
Still Image
Media Image
Contributor Calgary Public Library
Description Macleod, James Alexander Farquharson <br>• 1011 - 4th Avenue SW (Replica at Heritage Park) <br>• Demolished:1957 <br>• 1836-1894 <br><br> James Farquharson Macleod was born on the Isle of Skye, Scotland in 1836, the son of Martin Donald Macleod and Jane Fry. The Macleods moved to Upper Canada in 1845, where young James received his BA from Queen's University in 1854. He was called to the Bar in 1860 and began his practice at Bowmanville, Ontario. However, in 1856 Macleod entered the Canadian militia as a lieutenant of artillery. With the outbreak of the Riel Rebellion in 1870, Macleod was promoted to brigade major under Colonel Wolseley. <br><br> In 1873, the Dominion government decided to form a permanent corps of mounted police for the Northwest. Macleod accepted the position of Inspector (Captain), and then Assistant Commissioner, second in command of the newly formed North-West Mounted Police, and the following year led a police column on a long and arduous journey of over 1500 kilometres from Manitoba to southern Alberta. Macleod's orders were to bring order to the region. The main problems were the inability of the Hudson's Bay Company to establish trading posts due to the hostility of the 8,000 strong Blackfoot Nation - and the need to drive out American whiskey traders who had introduced alcohol to the aboriginal population, with disastrous results. The march halted at the Sweet Grass Hills, within sight of the Rocky Mountains. <br><br> By 1875, order had been restored to the region and Fort Macleod had been established. Later that same year, Macleod sent troops to establish Fort Walsh in the Cypress Hills and Fort Calgary. Macleod himself named the latter fort after his ancestral home, Calgarry Bay on the Isle of Skye. <br><br> The position of Commissioner of the NWMP was given to Macleod in 1876, and he served in this capacity until 1880. He married Mary Isabella Drever this same year, and they eventually had four daughters and a son. As Commissioner he successfully negotiated Treaty No. 7 in 1877 with the Blackfoot Nation, bringing peace to the region, and opening the it for non-aboriginal settlement. It has been said that the successful treaty was largely because of Macleod's integrity and the respect he had earned from the leaders of the various tribes within the Blackfoot nation. <br><br> Macleod resigned as Commissioner in 1880, and moved to Pincher Creek (and later, Macleod) and devoted himself to judicial duties as a stipendiary magistrate, with control, shared with two other magistrates, over all civil and criminal matters in the North-West Territories. In 1887, he became judge of the Supreme Court of the same region. He served in this capacity until his death in 1894 at the early age of 58 in Calgary, only two months after moving to the city. <br><br> To learn more about James Farquharson Macleod check out your local library for Macleod of the Mounties by Michael Crauford-Lewis.
Permanent Link http://search.canadiana.ca/view/ac.aj_1205