Deane House, 9th Avenue and 8th Street S.E. (moved in 1929 to this location).

6-May-76

View this document at Calgary Public Library: Deane House, 9th Avenue and 8th Street S.E. (moved in 1929 to this location).

Document Record
Creator Alison Jackson
Title Deane House, 9th Avenue and 8th Street S.E. (moved in 1929 to this location).
Published 6-May-76
Identifier aj_1227
Subject Calgary (Alta.) -- History
Rights Copyright Calgary Public Library. 616 Macleod Trail SE, Calgary AB, T2G 2M2, 1+(403)260-2785 hum1@calgarypubliclibrary.com
Document source Alison Jackson Estate
Notes Calgary, Alberta
6-May-76
3.5" x 3.5" print ; 6cm x 6cm negative
5252
5368
27555.23 KB
Calgary Public Library, Central Library, Local History Room
Alison Jackson Photograph Collection
Still Image
Media Image
Contributor Calgary Public Library
Description “Then & Now” columns appeared weekly in the Calgary Herald between 2002 and 2005. The following article appeared February 24, 2004. <br><br> Then: R.B. Deane House <br>• This 21/2-storey house was built in 1906 at a cost of $6,200 for Richard Burton Deane, superintendent of the Royal North West Mounted Police at Fort Calgary. Following Deane's retirement in 1914, the house was sold to Grand Trunk Railway, whose plans to use it as a residence for the station-master were never realized. Originally located near 8th Avenue and 6th Street S.E., it has been moved twice. Photos and coverage of the final move across the Elbow River on skids to its present location, in 1929, captured public attention and made it to the pages of Popular Mechanics magazine. Subsequently converted to apartment use, it was known for many years as the Gaspe Lodge rooming house. In 1973, the former Deane House was purchased by the City of Calgary. <br><br> Now: Deane House Restaurant <br>• Soon after the city bought the residence, it became home to an artists' and writers' co-operative, including the Dandelion Gallery. In 1974, the RCMP Veterans' Association restored the verandah and, in 1978, the house was designated a provincial historic resource. During an extensive renovation by the Fort Calgary Preservation Society in the 1980s, the house was converted for food service use. Today, the Deane House Restaurant is known for fine food, a resident ghost and a mystery dinner theatre.
Permanent Link http://search.canadiana.ca/view/ac.aj_1227