Toronto Dominion Bank, 8th Avenue S.W. between 1st and Centre Streets

View this document at Calgary Public Library: Toronto Dominion Bank, 8th Avenue S.W. between 1st and Centre Streets

Document Record
Creator Alison Jackson
Title Toronto Dominion Bank, 8th Avenue S.W. between 1st and Centre Streets
Identifier aj_1323
Subject Calgary (Alta.) -- History
Rights Copyright Calgary Public Library. 616 Macleod Trail SE, Calgary AB, T2G 2M2, 1+(403)260-2785 hum1@calgarypubliclibrary.com
Document source Alison Jackson Estate
Notes Calgary, Alberta
2759
2747
7428.766 KB
Calgary Public Library, Central Library, Local History Room
Alison Jackson Photograph Collection
Still Image
Media Image
Contributor Calgary Public Library
Description Dominion Bank <br>• 200 8th Avenue S.E. <br>• Built: 1911 <br>• Architect: G.W. Northwood of Winnipeg. <br>• Contractor: Claydon Brothers Contractors (Winnipeg). <br>• Original cost: $139,314 <br>• Construction materials: Terra cotta cladding, brick walls at rear and east sides, reinforced concrete beams, walls and floors, concrete foundation. <br>• Architectural style: Beaux - Arts Classicism and Neo - Classical Revival. Two storeys, full basement, plus an attic storey. The 8th Avenue facade features paired Ionic columns, detailed parapets and cornices, medallions on top of the first storey windows and the art nouveau style script on the original signboard. <br>• Original interior details: 6,500 square foot building, hardwood trim on plaster, terrazzo corridor and main floor. <br><br> Historical highlights: <br>• lot (50 x 130) purchased by the Dominion Bank for $100,000 from the real estate firm of Skinner and Hatfield on June 30, 1909. Lot first sold in 1884 for $300.00. <br>• original building on the site was G.C.King's general store (1885). George Clift King came to Calgary as a North West Mounted Policeman. He later became a successful merchant, Calgary's first postman and second mayor, 1886-1887. <br>• in 1911 a local newspaper praised building which was still under construction, describing it as "a very complete, artistic and beautiful structure." <br>• the first branch of the Dominion Bank in Alberta opened in Calgary in 1906. <br>• offices above the bank building have been rented to a variety of tenants over the years, architects, mining engineers, Canadian Customs Department, Prudential Insurance and physicians. <br>• numerous renovations over the years to accommodate "modern " banking. <br>• 1955 Dominion Bank became Toronto Dominion in merger <br>• new vault installed in 1963 <br>• 1979 declared a Provincial Historic Resource <br>• glass mansard roof added in the 1980s <br>• 1982 renovated by Raines, Finlayson and Barrett as the firm's offices <br>• 1993 extensive exterior/interior renovations adapting it to restaurant use currently is privately owned, home to Teatro's Restaurant, second floor - private residence.
Permanent Link http://search.canadiana.ca/view/ac.aj_1323