David D. Oughton residence, Forest Lawn, 17th Avenue S.E.

View this document at Calgary Public Library: David D. Oughton residence, Forest Lawn, 17th Avenue S.E.

Document Record
Creator Alison Jackson
Title David D. Oughton residence, Forest Lawn, 17th Avenue S.E.
Identifier aj_1349
Subject Calgary (Alta.) -- History
Rights Copyright Calgary Public Library. 616 Macleod Trail SE, Calgary AB, T2G 2M2, 1+(403)260-2785 hum1@calgarypubliclibrary.com
Document source Alison Jackson Estate
Notes Calgary, Alberta
2792
2937
8030.281 KB
Calgary Public Library, Central Library, Local History Room
Alison Jackson Photograph Collection
Still Image
Media Image
Contributor Calgary Public Library
Description Oughton, David D. <br>• 3420 17th Avenue East <br>• Demolished: 1974 <br>• 1864-1956 <br><br> David Oughton was born in Ontario in 1864, the son of Irish and English immigrants. After living in Michigan for a number of years, Oughton travelled west to Calgary in 1901. The following year, he and his wife Jane and their four sons, homesteaded east of Calgary in the area now known as Albert Park and Forest Lawn. At that time there were only six or seven homesteads between Lake Chestermere and Calgary connected by a small trail. <br><br> Oughton served as town councilor for Forest Lawn and was a trustee for the Bow Valley School Board when it opened the first school in the area in 1906. In addition to farming, Oughton dabbled in ranching and the fledgling oil industry. <br><br> In the 1930s Oughton’s sons and Albert H. Mayland constructed a petroleum refinery at Hartell near Turner Valley. They established a southern Alberta gasoline and propane distribution business that was incorporated as Oughton Brothers Ltd. in 1946 and sold in 1974 to Gulf Canada. Before David Oughton’s death in 1956, he donated the Radisson Heights property where Oughton School now stands.
Permanent Link http://search.canadiana.ca/view/ac.aj_1349