William Stanley Bates residence

View this document at Calgary Public Library: William Stanley Bates residence

Document Record
Creator Alison Jackson
Title William Stanley Bates residence
Identifier aj_1478
Rights Copyright Calgary Public Library. 616 Macleod Trail SE, Calgary AB, T2G 2M2, 1+(403)260-2785 hum1@calgarypubliclibrary.com
Document source Alison Jackson Estate
Notes 6cm x 6cm negative only
27773.598 KB
Calgary Public Library, Central Library, Local History Room
Alison Jackson Photograph Collection
Still Image
Media Image
Contributor Calgary Public Library
Description “Then & Now” columns appeared weekly in the Calgary Herald between 2002 and 2005. The following article appeared April 27, 2004. <br><br> Then: William Stanley Bates House <br>• William Stanley Bates was a well-known Calgary architect. In addition to designing his own art nouveau inspired house in 1907, he designed many other notable Calgary buildings including the Burns building. Poet P.K. Page, a friend of Bates, described fond memories of the living room with its diamond-paned bow window, intricately carved furniture, objects d'art and children reading under hanging Tiffany lamps. Bates died in 1949 and the house was subsequently sold to George Gooderham. The Bates house was demolished in the late 1970s. Bates' son Maxwell, a renowned artist, designed St. Mary's Cathedral. <br><br> Now: The Estate Condominiums and Ranchmen's Tower <br>• In August 1979, construction started on the The Estate Condominiums and Ranchmen's Tower, at 720 13 Ave. S.W. Designed by David M. Thom with IBI Group, this building was developed at the same time as renovations and additions were being made to the neighbouring Ranchmen's Club, which had originally been built in 1914. The townhouse and 445,000-square-foot, 28-storey tower were completed in May 1983 and incorporated finishing touches to tie in with the historic Ranchman's Club.
Permanent Link http://search.canadiana.ca/view/ac.aj_1478