Private Residence on Mount Royal, Calgary, Alta

View this document at Calgary Public Library: Private Residence on Mount Royal, Calgary, Alta

Document Record
Creator Valentine and Sons Publishing Co. Ltd.
Title Private Residence on Mount Royal, Calgary, Alta
Identifier pc_1651
Rights The Calgary Public Library has digitized our Postcard Collection in order to provide our customers with a useful online historic resources. The Calgary Public Library makes no assertions as to ownership of any original copyrights to images digitized for our site. All images in this collection are intended for personal/research use only. Any other use, may be subject to additional restrictions including but not limited to the copyrights held by parties other than the Library. Users are responsible for determining the existence of such rights and for obtaining any permissions and/or paying any associated fees necessary for the use of the image.
Notes Calgary, Alberta
Postcard
1972
1275
373.909 KB
Regular
horizontal
Colour
Calgary Public Library, Central Library, Local History Room
Postcards from the Past
Still Image
Media Image
Contributor Calgary Public Library
Description “Then & Now” columns appeared weekly in the Calgary Herald between 2002 and 2005. The following article appeared December 17, 2002. <br><br> Then: Royal Avenue (20th Avenue S.W.), Mount Royal District <br>• Between 1905 and 1911, the Canadian Pacific Railway developed Mount Royal as an elite residential district. Around 1906, American businessmen living and working in Calgary built the first homes along Royal Avenue, between 6th and 7th streets S.W. The area became known as American Hill, a name that quickly vanished when CPR registered a 1907 subdivision plan with street names of Upper Canada's British rulers. <br><br> Now: Royal Avenue <br>• Over the past 30 years, many Royal Avenue mansions have been demolished to accommodate construction of apartment and condominium developments. Remnants of the original river stone fence still border parts of Royal Avenue. Only one of the houses pictured in this early postcard still stands.
Permanent Link http://search.canadiana.ca/view/ac.pc_1651