View this document at Calgary Public Library: Currie Barracks Calgary. S.
|Title||Currie Barracks Calgary. S.|
|Rights||The Calgary Public Library has digitized our Postcard Collection in order to provide our customers with a useful online historic resources. The Calgary Public Library makes no assertions as to ownership of any original copyrights to images digitized for our site. All images in this collection are intended for personal/research use only. Any other use, may be subject to additional restrictions including but not limited to the copyrights held by parties other than the Library. Users are responsible for determining the existence of such rights and for obtaining any permissions and/or paying any associated fees necessary for the use of the image.|
Black and White
Calgary Public Library, Central Library, Local History Room
Postcards from the Past
|Contributor||Calgary Public Library|
|Description||Handwritten verso: "This is the Cooks Quarters and you cant see the rest of the camp. <br><br><br> “Then & Now” columns appeared weekly in the Calgary Herald between 2002 and 2005. The following article appeared June 1, 2004. <br><br> Currie Barracks <br>Dieppe Avenue S.W. <br><br> Then: Currie Barracks <br>• Currie Barracks, named after First World War general Sir Arthur Currie, was built under the direction of noted Calgary architect William Stanley Bates. The project employed hundreds of tradesmen and some unemployed men working through a relief project conceived by R.B. Bennett. The Bessborough (Barracks) building was constructed for the Lord Strathcona's Horse regiment, who until that time had been inadequately housed in the basement of the Mewata Armoury. The governor general, the Earl of Bessborough, laid the cornerstone on April 12, 1935. The Mess Building, costing $148,546, was completed in 1936 and named in honour of Viscount Bennett, as he was partly responsible for the construction of the first permanent buildings. <br><br> Now: Currie Barracks <br>• The Lord Strathcona's Horse was transferred to Edmonton in 1996 after the base closed. The regiment moved its museum from the Bessborough building to the Museum of the Regiments and the land was taken over by the Canada Lands Company in 1999. The province designated 15 buildings as historic resources, including the facades of the Bessborough and Bennett buildings. The Bessborough, renovated in 2001, now houses part of Clear Water Academy. The Bennett building houses a variety of businesses including Full Circle Systems and Warrior Energy.|