8th Ave. Calgary (looking West)

View this document at Calgary Public Library: 8th Ave. Calgary (looking West)

Document Record
Creator Photo by Dill
Title 8th Ave. Calgary (looking West)
Identifier pc_1899
Rights The Calgary Public Library has digitized our Postcard Collection in order to provide our customers with a useful online historic resources. The Calgary Public Library makes no assertions as to ownership of any original copyrights to images digitized for our site. All images in this collection are intended for personal/research use only. Any other use, may be subject to additional restrictions including but not limited to the copyrights held by parties other than the Library. Users are responsible for determining the existence of such rights and for obtaining any permissions and/or paying any associated fees necessary for the use of the image.
Notes Calgary, Alberta
23-Feb-11
Postcard
1956
1212
406.238 KB
regular
horizontal
Black and White
Calgary Public Library, Central Library, Local History Room
Postcards from the Past
Still Image
Media Image
Contributor Calgary Public Library
Description Handwritten verso: "Baby had his {illegible} today and {illegible} out of it all O.K. of course he is {illegible} and very {illegible}. love to all. <br><br><br> “Then & Now” columns appeared weekly in the Calgary Herald between 2002 and 2005. The following article appeared August 20, 2002. <br><br> THEN: <br>• Stephen Avenue's north side looking west from Centre Street to 1st Street S.W. around 1910. Stephen Avenue, originally named for Baron George Mount Stephen, president of the Bank of Montreal and first president of the Canadian Pacific Railway, became 8th Avenue when street names changed to numbers in 1904. For many years, Stephen Avenue was Calgary's main street and the commercial centre of the city. <br><br> NOW: <br>• Over the past decade, extensive efforts have been made to conserve and revitalize the historic fabric of Stephen Avenue. The street has been rebuilt to accommodate increased pedestrian traffic. In recent years, the area between the Glenbow Museum and the new Sears department store has become known as Stephen Avenue Walk. After 119 years, Stephen Avenue remains a vibrant and integral part of the city. Since 1911, only three of the historic buildings pictured in the 1910 postcard have been demolished and replaced. The other five have been renovated for retail use. The original 1891 Bank of Montreal building was demolished and replaced in 1931 and is now home to A&B Sound. After the Lougheed Block burned in 1911, a new Union Bank building was constructed on the site and now houses the James Joyce Pub.
Permanent Link http://search.canadiana.ca/view/ac.pc_1899