Holy Cross Hospital Calgary, Alta.

View this document at Calgary Public Library: Holy Cross Hospital Calgary, Alta.

Document Record
Creator Warwick Bro's & Rutter, Limited, Printers, Toronto.
Title Holy Cross Hospital Calgary, Alta.
Identifier pc_1965
Rights The Calgary Public Library has digitized our Postcard Collection in order to provide our customers with a useful online historic resources. The Calgary Public Library makes no assertions as to ownership of any original copyrights to images digitized for our site. All images in this collection are intended for personal/research use only. Any other use, may be subject to additional restrictions including but not limited to the copyrights held by parties other than the Library. Users are responsible for determining the existence of such rights and for obtaining any permissions and/or paying any associated fees necessary for the use of the image.
Document source Aquila Books
Notes Postcard
1635
1033
1032.222 KB
13.9 x 8.8
horizontal
Black and White
Calgary Public Library, Central Library, Local History Room
Postcards from the Past
Still Image
Media Image
Contributor Calgary Public Library
Description “Then & Now” columns appeared weekly in the Calgary Herald between 2002 and 2005. The following article appeared March 11, 2003. <br><br> Holy Cross Hospital/Centre <br>2210 2nd St. S.W. <br><br> Then: Holy Cross Hospital, 2210 2nd St. S.W. <br>• The Holy Cross Hospital was established in 1891 by four Sisters of Charity, members of the Montreal based Order of the Grey Nuns. The Oblate Fathers donated this site for construction of the first permanent hospital, which opened in November 1892. The three-storey stone and buff brick facility cost $6,000 to build and was expanded in 1906, 1907, 1910 and 1928 to accommodate the needs of a growing city. In 1966, a $5-million building program led to the demolition of all remaining original buildings except the 1928 McNabb wing designed by William Stanley Bates. (facing west on 2nd St. S.W.). <br><br> Now: Holy Cross Centre <br>• Over the years, numerous additions were built as the hospital attempted to meet the health care demands of an ever- expanding city. In 1969, the Holy Cross was sold to the provincial government and, by 1971, control was transferred to the Metro- Calgary and Rural and General Hospital District No. 93, which eventually evolved into the Calgary Regional Health Authority. Following the provincial government's closure of the Holy Cross in 1996, the facility was sold to Enterprise Universal. Recognizing the strength of a 105-year community connection, the company retained the name Holy Cross Centre. At that time, the historic McNabb wing was renovated to accommodate new tenants, including Mount Royal College. The remainder of the former hospital buildings are currently rented to a variety of other tenants, including health- related clinics.
Permanent Link http://search.canadiana.ca/view/ac.pc_1965