St. George's Island, Calgary, Alta.

View this document at Calgary Public Library: St. George's Island, Calgary, Alta.

Document Record
Creator Novelty Mfg. & Art Co. Ltd., Montreal
Title St. George's Island, Calgary, Alta.
Identifier pc_1993
Rights The Calgary Public Library has digitized our Postcard Collection in order to provide our customers with a useful online historic resources. The Calgary Public Library makes no assertions as to ownership of any original copyrights to images digitized for our site. All images in this collection are intended for personal/research use only. Any other use, may be subject to additional restrictions including but not limited to the copyrights held by parties other than the Library. Users are responsible for determining the existence of such rights and for obtaining any permissions and/or paying any associated fees necessary for the use of the image.
Document source Aquila Books
Notes Postcard
1654
1046
1478.163 KB
14 x 9
horizontal
Colour
Calgary Public Library, Central Library, Local History Room
Postcards from the Past
Still Image
Media Image
Contributor Calgary Public Library
Description “Then & Now” columns appeared weekly in the Calgary Herald between 2002 and 2005. The following article appeared October 21, 2004. <br><br> St. George's Island Bridge 12th Street E. over the Bow River <br><br> Then: <br>• In 1887, town council leased the Bow River islands, St. George, St. Andrew and St. Patrick, for development as parks. In September 1891, a ferry service connected the islands to the town, increasing their popularity. Construction of St. George's Island Bridge was completed in 1908, providing access to the new General Hospital once the old Elbow Bridge was moved to the island's north side. The federal government gave the islands to the city in 1910, stipulating they remain parks. Island improvements included a beergarden bandstand. It became a teahouse in 1912 after selling beer was discovered to be illegal. In 1929, St. George's Island became the new zoo's home. <br><br> Now: <br>• The St. George's Island Bridge, which connects 12th Street S.E. to the zoo, is now the oldest iron bridge in the city. It is 75.6 metres long with one span and carries some 9,000 vehicles per day. There is an upgrade underway to replace deteriorating steel elements as well as the deck and expansion joints. Two viewing platforms on the bridge's sidewalk will also be built, as well as the restoration of some of the original lattice-style railing and end posts. Colourful banners will be selected for installation by community representatives. Work on the bridge, which will cost some $850,000, is expected to be completed by the end of this month.
Permanent Link http://search.canadiana.ca/view/ac.pc_1993