Bow River. Banff. C.P.P. Hotel.

View this document at University of Alberta: Bow River. Banff. C.P.P. Hotel.

Document Record
Creator Harmon
Title Bow River. Banff. C.P.P. Hotel.
Identifier PC007272
Subject Banff, AB
Canada Alberta Banff
Postcards
Rivers
Mountains
Hotels
National parks & reserves
Banff Springs Hotel
Bow River (Alta.)
Banff National Park (Alta.)
Notes 1 postcard : b&w ; 9 x 14 cm.
Language English
Media Image
Contributor University of Alberta
Description The first Banff Springs Hotel was built in 1887 of brick and cedar, designed by Bruce Price in the style of the medieval french chateau. It opened it's doors in 1888 to great fanfare. By 1910 demand had far outstripped the capacity of the hotel and Walter Painter was commissioned to design a new building. Painter's design is in the Scottish baronnial style, giving the nod to the many Scots who had helped develop the area, among them CPR President George Stephen who hailed from Banff, Scotland. The design featured a central tower, known to this day as the Painter tower, flanked by two wings, to be built of Rundle rock quarried from the nearby Spray River. Italian stonecutters and Scottish masons were brought in to construct the central tower which was completed in 1914. With the First World War underway the remainder of the construction was delayed until 1925. In 1926 the original north wing was destroyed by fire; the new wings were completed in 1928. This photograph, circa. 1920, shows the Painter Tower with the original wings on either side.
Permanent Link http://search.canadiana.ca/view/aeu.PC007272