Vancouver : Museum of Vancouver
View this document at Museum of Vancouver: windowpane
|Creator||City of Vancouver, Properties Department|
|Published||Vancouver : Museum of Vancouver|
|Contributor||Museum of Vancouver|
This window, which forms a set with of two smaller, identical windows (H983.202.1a-b), was removed from the house at 445 West 10 Ave., Vancouver, when the house was demolished in 1980. All the stained glass from this house is in the Vancouver Museum's collection. These three windows present a simple geometric pattern that is very representative of the stained glass catalogue patterns of the early 1900s. The central oval panel of bevelled glass mirrors that found in the side-light panels numbered H983.202.3a-b, which would have been placed on either side of the front door. The two windows numbered .1a-b were probably the upper sections of the two windows on the front porch, while the longer .2 would have been placed above the third, larger, window, also facing the front of the house.
The house was built in 1910 or 1911, and had a succession of owners, mostly white-collar. Its location on the slopes of Mount Pleasant made it an attractive site. However, when Vancouver's new City Hall was built across the street in the early 1930s, commercial development began sweeping the area. By the 1960s, most of the remaining houses on this street had been transformed into rooming houses, and a short two decades later, this entire residential block had been eradicated.
a) rectangular green leaded stained glass with an oval inset in a white painted frame; b) clear glass window in a white painted frame