Vancouver : Museum of Vancouver
View this document at Museum of Vancouver: German girl doll
|Creator||Ladner, Miss Dorothy|
|Title||German girl doll|
|Published||Vancouver : Museum of Vancouver|
|Contributor||Museum of Vancouver|
From 1880 until 1914, Germany manufactured more dolls than any other nation. The company of Gebrüder Heubach, which was established in 1840, produced a variety of dolls with bisque heads. Bisque, a ceramic material with an unglazed surface, was used by both German and French dollmakers beginning in the middle of the 19th century. Liquid clay (slip) was cast in head moulds and fired at a high temperature to a bisque, or biscuit, state. The skin colour was applied with an overall wash, which was air-dried, and the features painted on with china paints. The head was fired again at a lower temperature. The result was a doll's head with a life-like complexion and delicate features.
This doll, which was made by the German company of Gebrüder Heubach after 1890, has a bisque head with stationary blue glass eyes and an open mouth showing four teeth. Her body is of white cotton and her forearms and lower legs are composition. The shift she is wearing is original. Miss Dorothy M. Ladner, who donated this doll to the Vancouver Museum, inherited her from an older family member. She remembers playing with the doll at her family's home near Central Park in Burnaby.
Porcelain head; bisque lower arms and legs, fabric covered body; long blonde hair , blue eyes with painted eyelashes; mouth slightly open; marked "j.d." plus a horseshoe stamped on back of head; arms move at the shoulders and legs at the hips and knees; b) white cotton shift with lace at neck and sleeves and a red bow on each shoulder; c) bonnet is trimmed with lace and has a red bow on top.