Vancouver : Museum of Vancouver
View this document at Museum of Vancouver: doll
|Creator||Sims, O.J., (Mrs.)|
|Published||Vancouver : Museum of Vancouver|
|Contributor||Museum of Vancouver|
From 1880 until 1914, Germany manufactured more dolls than any other nation. In the first decade of the 20th century, several German firms began to produce what they called "character" dolls - dolls which were supposed to look like real children and babies. This innovation was a result of a contemporary trend toward realism in art and an emerging awareness of the psychological needs of children.
This character boy baby was made by the German company of Gebrüder Heubach about 1912. His bisque head is marked "7602, 5./0 46" followed by the Heubach emblem. ("7602" is the mould number.) He has moulded hair and blue intaglio eyes which are painted and have concave pupils and irises to make them appear lifelike. His jointed body is made from composition and he has a swivel head. This doll belonged to the donor's mother, Oline Allen Bieler, who came to Canada in 1912. She lived in Saskatchewan before moving to Vancouver in 1919.
<div class="field-item field-item-0">a character baby doll, boy, with a bisque head and composition body; moulded hair is skin colour, eyes blue and lips pink; moveable arms, legs and head; wearing white underwear; mark on back of head: circle divided in half horizontally with a rising? sun in upper half and the letter "G" ? with the letter "H" ? superimposed on it, below this is the numbers "76, 02, 5/0, 46" and "germany" below this.</div><div class="field-item field-item-1">a) doll; b) underwear</div>